Legal Travel to Cuba
During 2015, US regulations for travel to Cuba relaxed greatly, including legal travel of private or chartered vessels to navigate to Cuba by sea and to serve as the guests luxury accommodation while in Cuba. Under the current administration little has changed. The category of People to People Educational Travel must be accompanied by a U.S. based tour leader that ensures that the travelers comply with the daily educational activities. Individual travel can occur under the other categories of travel.
Cuba Tours and Travel will ensure that all travelers are authorized under current U.S. Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) regulations to provide personal travel to and from Cuba under a general license.
UNDER THE CURRENT OFAC LAWS, A GENERAL LICENSE AUTHORIZES TRAVEL FROM THE UNITED STATES TO CUBA UNDER THE FOLLOWING 12 CATEGORIES.
- Family visits
- Official business of the U.S. government, foreign governments, and certain intergovernmental organizations
- Journalistic activity
- Professional research and professional meetings
- Educational activities
- Religious activities
- Public performances, clinics, workshops, athletic and other competitions, and exhibitions
- Support for the Cuban people
- Humanitarian projects
- Activities of private foundations or research or educational institutes
- Exportation, importation, or transmission of information or information materials
- And certain authorized export transactions.